The Somerville Arts Council produced a ArtAssembled Residency Program support grant for individual performance artists, groups of artists, to support the development of their work. We seek to support artists who include dancers, theater, multimedia performance based who need both space and technical assistance. The space that we are offering is in a partnership with Federal Realty, the Somerville Arts Council, and Callie Chapman, built out a rehearsal space to support local performing artists. ArtAssembled Residency Program will award artists with space, a small stipend, and other resources to support projects with the potential end goal of a public performance in Somerville. Available residency must culminate by June 15, 2022 , which will reward each artist with up to 100 hours of rehearsal time to be used for a maximum of 15 hours/week.
- Up to 100 hours to use within the period. Residency must be a minimum of 50 hours. Maximum of 15 hours/week.
- A stipend of $1,000 to support a public performance either in a Somerville public space or through our partners such as the Arts at the Armory “Pop performance” season (For more info: https://artsatthearmory.org/announcing-the-performance-opportunity-program-pop/
- A stipend of $4,000 to support your work.
- Support from ArtAssembled staff with space arrangements and incorporation of other elements (as requested)
- This residency is open to regional artists with practices that yield a low volume threshold and that utilize a “black box” type of environment, with minimal set up and break down. Disciplines include primarily dance, theater or multimedia.
- Artist/group can be emerging, mid-career, or established and reside within the I-95 corridor.
- Clarity and feasibility of residency goals
- Demonstration of public benefit
- Demonstration of prior track record and follow through
- Somerville artists have priority
- Artists must follow the ArtAssembled artist protocol.
- The project/inquiry must fit within our facility, noting capacity limits are max 15 people at a time.
- Must be working within the overarching disciplines that can be supported by ArtAssembled residency space.
- The project/inquiry’s intention cannot be a for-profit venture and must be geared toward art-making for performance.
- Artists cannot charge for activities in the space.
- The project must provide an eventual public benefit. This benefit might be a produced performance, workshop, open-rehearsal, informal showing, or other event where the public is invited OR provide a stated goal of how this residency will further your work in the public realm. If the $1,000 performance stipend is requested, a public performance is expected.
- The Somerville Arts Council and ArtAssembled must be listed in all publicity related to the project. Logos, and social media links will be shared with selected artists for this purpose.
- Selected applicants will agree to a written grant agreement which outlines goals, duration, public benefit, and space use expectation.
- Applications are on a rolling basis and are reviewed on the 30th of every month.
- Notification will be sent on the 15th of the following month.
- This residency must conclude by June 15th 2022.
This application is now closed.