Art Assembled is a project of the Somerville Arts Council with support from Federal Realty/Assembly Row. Located at 495 Artisan Way, the current space is built out to be a rehearsal black box including amenities such as a 16’x30′ sprung dance floor with marley, 8 LED controllable lights, hung and focused projectors, a black curtain, a white retractable projection screen, sound system, and fully blacked out windows. Over 100 leading artists and directors have used this space since May, 2021 to create and rehearse. Keeping diversity and accessibility in mind, rehearsal rate is as low as $8/hr. and is available 7 days a week. The space is also fully ADA compliant.
In May, 2021 a select group of artists formed a pilot cohort and were invited to be the first 12 artists to use the space for their creative practices. ArtAssembled is now open to new artists to join them in activating the space on an hourly basis. Keeping the costs low, each hour costs just $8-$20!
If you are interested in joining ArtAssembled as an artist, please affirm the following applies:
- Activity in the space can not be “loud” as there are apartments situated directly above the store. Acoustic music could work, but amplified instruments, brass instruments, and drums are not allowed.
- All artists using the space must be able to “leave no trace” after their time in the space. There is storage available (to be arranged with ArtAssembled staff).
- Dance floor policy includes no outside shoes. If you have worn your shoes outside, they are outside shoes. Barefeet, socks, dance shoes, etc. are permitted on the marley floor. There is plenty of space surrounding the dance floor where outside shoes are permitted.
- Artists will have a maximum of 4 hours per week of rental to create equitable booking availability for all.
- Each new artist must attend a space tour and policy overview before booking space. Tours are available 2x/week: Sundays – 6:00pm-6:30pm, and Wednesdays – 9:30am-10:00am. You select your preferred time when you sign up.
- Artists will have up to 30 days to book the space. This is both to give the artist cohort priority and due to the semi-nomadic nature of the space arrangements at Assembly Row.
- Hours of operation are 9am-9pm 7 days a week.
- This space is intended for artists only. No unregistered public is allowed in the space without being registered in the system.
- Doors must be locked during use of the space.
If you have any further questions, please email Callie: email@example.com!