SomArt is a program of the Somerville Arts Council which seeks to support the creation of new work in performance, visual arts, and trans/interdisciplinary disciplines.
Currently, SomArt has 3 locations, each geared towards specific priorities outlined below. Each space is unique in physicality and amenities available to artists. All spaces have movement-safe flooring with either wood on wood sub-floor, or sprung dance floor with marley. Both the Hive and Armory 3rd floor have no outside shoes policies to maintain a hygienic environment for all.
In May, 2021 the Somerville Arts Council entered into a partnership with Federal Realty opening up temporary use rehearsal space in Assembly Row, Somerville. Since that time, our space program has expanded to add two additional locations. The mission of this program is to provide rehearsal and creation space to performing artists keeping the costs low. With this in mind, our spaces cost just $0-$20/hour depending on use and the space!
All spaces are open to all performing artists regionally (you do not need to be a Somerville resident).
SomArt Space @ The Hive
(Anticipated Opening Aug/Sept 2023)
Priority Focuses: Movement/Dance, Inter/Transdisciplinary Practices, Education, Creation, Performance
- 25′ x 43′ dance/performance area
- Sound System
- Lighting System
- South facing windows
- Sprung floor with adagio marley
- Capacity: 49 max
- ADA accessible
- 4th floor, elevator access
- 14′ ceilings
- Showers, bathrooms, changing area (same floor or in the space)
- Optional seating for guests
- Blackout curtain
- Projection capabilities
BIPOC Space @ the Armory
Priority Focus: BIPOC-led Creation and Exhibition
This initiative aims to provide a safe, vibrant, and free space to be curated by artists of color. The pop-up location features couple of rooms: a common room where there are new exhibitions on a rotational basis and a larger room that can be reserved for small events, lectures, workshops, and any programming that serves the local BIPOC arts community. Funds are provided depending on the programming and availability of funds. There is an application and interview process required before booking the space. This initiative aims to support the development of BIPOC artists to lead, program, and organize an environment that creates a sense of safety and encouragement.
To learn more please reach out to Iaritza Menjivar in our office imenjivar(a)somervillema.gov
Application to be considered can be found here. Deadline is open on a rolling basis.
SomArt Space @ Armory
Priority Focuses: Movement/Dance, Theater, Inter/Transdisciplinary Practices, Creation
- 20′ x 22′ main space
- 10′ x 10′ room off of the main space
- 30′ x 15′ “kitchen” space
- Outside wrap around deck
- Sound System
- Lots of light/windows – white walls / no blackout capabilities
- Wood over wood floor. Not sprung, but has enough ‘give’ for dance/movement
- Capacity: about 15 moving only in the big space
- ADA accessible
- Space is on the 3rd floor of the Armory
To Request Space:
“Register” through our booking software. Required fields include: name, email, and credit card information. There is no cost to join.
Schedule a walkthrough through our scheduling app for each space you want access too book. Each space requires a separate walk through to be approved to book it. It is anticipated the Hive will be available for walkthroughs mid-October.
After the walkthrough, you would be approved to book space up to 30 days in advance, but no less than 24 hours in advance through our automated booking system. This function will not be enabled until we approve you after your walkthrough.
- Rate for rehearsal is $8/hr for Armory and Assembly Spaces. $17/hr for the new Hive space
- Rates for classes/paid labs is $20/hr for Armory and Assembly Spaces. $35/hr for the new Hive space.
- Rate for performance (with paid ticketing) is $50 for 4 hours for Armory Space. $250-$1000 for the new Hive space.
- Rate for informal showing (no tech time) is $100 for a 4 hour block on a Friday or Saturday
- Classes and Performances in Armory require a special space request (see form below). The Hive has a RFP process for all seasonal or yearly contracts. Pop-ups/workshops or series classes can be booked via the scheduling system directly with 60 days notice.
- All artists using the space must be able to “leave no trace” after their time in the space.
- No disposal of food food/drink or containers in the spaces.
- Dance floor policy includes no outside shoes. If you have worn your shoes outside, they are outside shoes. Barefeet, socks, dance shoes, etc. are permitted on the floors.
- Artists will have a maximum of 6 hours per week of rental to create equitable booking availability for all. (if you need more, use our special space request form.)
- Each new artist must attend a space tour and policy overview before booking space. Tours are available 2x/week and scheduled through our scheduling system (see step 2 above).
- Artists will have up to 60 days to book the space without a yearly or seasonal contract.
- Hours of operation are 9am-9pm 7 days a week.
- Doors must be locked during use of the space.
- Key must be left in the lockbox at all times.
- Each space has a checkout procedure accessible through a scannable QR code in the space.
|Non-Contract Rehearsals/Creation||Contract Rehearsals/Creation||Labs||Showings||Performances||Ongoing Classes|
|How to Book||Directly through the booking system||Special Request Form for Armory or RFP for the Hive||Directly through the booking system with approval||Special Request Form for Armory or RFP for the Hive||Special Request Form for Armory or RFP for the Hive||Special Request Form for Armory or RFP for the Hive|
|Max Days Advance Booking||60 days||Seasonal or Yearly||2 Seasons before||2 Seasons before||2 Seasons before||Yearly Sept start, Seasonal, or 60 Days|
|Min Days Advance Booking||no sooner than 24 hours||Yearly – September start date|
Seasonal – Sept, Jan, May start dates
|no sooner than 48 hours||no sooner than 7 days||no sooner than 7 days||no sooner than 48 hours|
|Max Hours per Week||6||6||6||min 3||min 4||6|
|Cancellation||no later than 48 hours||no later than 14 days. Must have 90% use of contract dates||no later than 48 hours||no later than 7 days||no later than 7 days||no later than 48 hours|
|Cost||$8-$17/hr||$8-$17/hr||$8-$17/hr no pay participants – $20-$35/hr pay participants||$8-$17/hr no pay participants – $20-$35/hr pay participants||$100-$1000 depending on yearly budget and location||$20-$35/hr|
|Space Availability||Hive or Armory||Hive or Armory||Hive or Armory||Hive or Armory||Hive Only||Hive or Armory|
If you are seeking space time/date usage that falls outside of our existing policy, please fill out this request form: